April Gardening Tips
For Your Lawn
- Lime and fertilize lawn and apply pre-emergent control to prevent crabgrass.
- Re-seed areas of winter-killed lawn.
For Your Vegetable Garden
- Plant peppers, tomatoes, and other warm-weather crops after all danger of frost has passed.
- Top-dress beds with aged manure.
For Your Flower Beds
- Prune hybrid tea and floribunda roses.
- Feed tulip beds with 5-10-5 fertilizer.
- Clean water gardens before growth begins.
- Plant new hardy water lilies.
- Plant hardy annual and perennial flowering plants, such as pansies.
- Tender annuals can be planted when danger of frost has passed.
For Your Trees and Shrubs
- Fertilize trees and shrubs.
- Remember to feed acid-loving plants, such as broadleaf evergreens.
- Apply dormant oil spray to trees and shrubs if you have not done so already. Do not apply if plants are not dormant or if freezing temperatures are expected.
- Replace any dead or winter-damaged trees or shrubs.